There’s no doubt, mom is worth celebrating 365 days a year, but somehow time escapes us and another holiday is mere days away. If you’re like most, you find yourself scrambling in last-minute desperation to prove your love and adoration. In those days when the tables at her favorite restaurant are already booked and the store shelves are plucked of the best flowers and cards, all is not lost. Thankfully, you’re reading this blog and we’re here to help you save the day.
Take her on a trip, within the city! Explore the world from Tacoma. Thai-inspired? Try Indo Street Eatery in Stadium District or the lavish setting at Indochine downtown. Rent a kayak from Dock Street Marina rentals and glide across Foss Waterway’s glistening waters, should weather be in your favor. Does Europe call her name? Europa Bistro in Proctor, open from 4-10 pm on Sundays, is a lovely stop for authentic Italian cuisine. They may be busy but the service is exceptional and you can always order a plate to go. Follow it up with home-made gelato from Metropolitan market across the street. Hop on bicycles and roll down the “cobblestone” side streets toward the waterfront in true coastal European fashion. Rent a bike for two (or four) from Wheel Fun Rentals at Point Ruston.
If she’s a mom to little ones, grant her a naptime or a few hours to herself. Maybe it’s a kid-free shopping trip down Pacific Avenue, a walk at Chambers Bay, a treatment at Serenity Spa or Carpe Diem Massage (voted South Sound’s best massage in 2015 and 2016) or a cozy reading corner in her favorite coffee shop. While she’s occupied, clean the house! You’ll give her the gift of time. Priceless!
- It’s gardening season. If mom enjoys spending time in the garden, offer to exercise your green thumbs together. You can purchase a fairy garden from Green Thumb Garden Supply or prepare a basket with seeds and starters, available at most local grocers and home and garden shops. Include a new apron and gloves beside her favorite cold beverage, for two!
- A staycation! Let her sleep in but when she wakes, have the car packed and head out for beach combing and kite flying at Chambers Bay Park or grab your rain boots and hit the trails at the Tacoma Nature Center.
- If her clan is grown and dispersed about the country, have each person send in a quick video clip from their phones and stream them together for a virtual card.
- Be sure to try for the fabulous breakfast buffets available at CI Shenanigans and the Lobster Shop. If her favorite restaurant is fully booked, call in orders and make a run around town picking up her favorite dishes. (Be sure to save the hot plates and main entrée for the final pick-up). Then basket your loot with a bottle of wine or sparkling cider and treat her to a nice picnic spot on Hidden Beach at Titlow Park.
- Tour the downtown museums, grab a coffee or glass of wine from Anthem and walk across the Glass Museum Bridge to Dock Street’s waterfront.
- Wander the aisles of Kings Books or the Tacoma Book Center, the second largest bookstore in Washington state!
- Visit the Zoo and outdoor gardens at Point Defiance. Zoo entry is half priced for mom’s the day before Mother’s Day. Did you know on weekend mornings the 5-mile drive closes to allow only pedestrians and bicycle riders? Did you also know that May is bike month in Tacoma!? Wander in on foot or loop the moderate terrain by bicycle. It’s a perfect woodland adventure to kick-off a day of Point Defiance fun.
- For clever cards, check out the comedian inspired selection at Marlene’s Market on 38th or Paper Lux Studio in University Place, open Saturday until 5 pm and Sunday until 4 pm.
A mother’s love is nothing short of extraordinary. How will you thank her this year?
**Be sure to check out the Events Calendar for more clues on how to Experience Tacoma this Mother’s Day!!